Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Bumper Stickers

I am all for the freedom of expression. Our right to free speech. But Bumper Stickers give way to expressions that sometimes seem downright ridiculous.

Political Bumper Stickers: I am a little tired of seeing the Kerry & Edwards, and the W with a circle and slash through it. It’s a bit passé these days as it just states pathetic loser. Once the election is over, is it really worth the trouble to have these still on your car? And 5 years later, it just starts to "date" the age of your car.

Funny Sayings: “Zero to Bitch in 3.5 Seconds” – plastered on a van that didn’t look like it could accelerate that fast. AND driven by a male with mutton chops. Interesting expression by a male hippie.

“My other car is a Porsche.” So why aren’t you driving it instead of the 1995 Suzuki jalopy?

I guess I liken Bumper Stickers to tattoos: identifying marks. I don’t want to be the SUV driving down the street that everyone laughs at because I’m not hip to the times, or accurately expressing myself. Besides, what I have to say today, may not accurately state what I want to say tomorrow. Maybe they ought to make whiteboard bumper stickers so that you can create your own and then wipe clean tomorrow.

Anybody out there have any favorite bumper sticker sayings?

1 comment:

Barb said...

My favorite is "As a matter of fact, I do own the road."