Monday, September 11, 2006

Where Were You?

5 years ago today, I was in DC at a Government Contracting Seminar. Someone came into the meeting to advise that the Pentagon had been hit. What we didn't know was that the WTC towers had already been hit. Such was the beginning of the confusion, sadness, and unknown that began 9/11/01.

I remember calling Joanne who had no idea of anything newsworthy - she hadn't turned on the morning news yet. I had been able to reach her via cell when I got a good network connection. Afterwards, it would take another 24 hours by which she was frantic before I would speak to her again. (I told her I was all right!)

Dave Tucker & I rented the last car in the District at Union Station that Friday. My flight out of Reagan had been cancelled, as others were, but Continental had put me on a flight out of Dulles. No thanks on the flying. David and I made a trip out of it in 3 days. We went through part of the Blue Ridge Parkway (I need to go back), made it to Chatanooga, TN. Saturday, we went to see a Civil War battlefield monument. Then off to Birmingham for lunch with friends, and then on to Tyler, TX where we stayed with his parents.

Ironically, we made it into Austin to turn in the rental car about the same time my regularly scheduled flight was to come in.

It's been a crazy 5 years. So much has happened. On one hand, it seems like 9/11 happened yesterday, but on the other, a lifetime has happened.

1 comment:

Sweet T said...

i was on my way to work. i remember it vividly. i was on the corner of hwy 146 & texas ave. i heard it on the radio and was in silent shock thinking i had heard something so far removed and not true.
chris called (he was already at work) on my cell and asked if i was listening to the radio. i was still in shock. we stayed on the phone, in silence, listening to the news together.
i will add that, at this point, he and i had been broken up for a while already but still felt that need to check on each other. weird.