Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Day After

So my little (and I say little as in younger!) brother came to visit me to go to Barton Springs. Now if you know me, you know that I do not DO bathing suits. Just typing it gives me hives. But I was interested in getting down to South Austin 2 days in a row.

Interestingly, even though it was about 100 degrees, the shade under the pecan tree and the breeze was really nice. But it was a little like bug city with ants and spiders and THIS that was ON.MY.LEG. which, if you know me, I screamed like a girl a little....



But I do think praying mantis are cool. They are scary as hell up close, but they don't bite (thank god) and they are really good on the insect population. The one at Barton Springs sorta seemed to have a crush on me and kept coming back to the blanket. I was a bit concerned that he was going to get stepped on - he was exactly the color of the grass. But Cash didn't think putting him on a tree was a good idea especially with all the birds that were in the area. Which, birds are the #1 enemy of the mantis. I hope he lives long and prospers under that pecan tree where we were sitting.

No comments: